[squeak-dev] use (and cleanup?) of 'flag:'ed methods

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 7 14:43:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 03:58:35PM +0200, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently made use of flag: to mark methods I want to perfect...and
> being curious I looked for
> senders of it: I found 228 (with some false positive)!
>
> In fact they seem to be either personal 'post-it's'/reminders or notes
> (i.e. see #arNote) to peer
> programmers (including yourself ;-) about
> bogus/incomprehensible/smelling code...
>
> What is your understanding about these 'flags' in the code?
> Should we try to clean them up?
> If you use flag: do you use it as a personal tool, i.e. as post-it?

Yep, that's exactly what they are: personal post-it notes and
reminders. As such, they provide valuable documentation, often
including an indication of who was looking at an issue, and by
implication why it might be a concern.

I would avoid thinking in terms of "cleaning" the flag markers;
instead, think of using them as guideposts for things that
might need work. The flag markers can be removed after the
issues are resolved (or documented in a better way), not before.

Dave