[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Brave New World - of small rodents

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 16:21:27 UTC 2010

>> So, welcome to the brave new world, built in Cuis.

Hi Edgar, thanks for responding.

>> Well, I do not should speak by Juan, but  you sure you don’t wish
>> another mammal?

Perhaps. I have a rabbit called Sooty, he could be up for
immortalization as software.

>> Cuis  is small, beautiful, fast and a good Smalltalk.
>> But maybe when you add some tool (Monticello is my first choice,

I am wondering about this choice too. However it may not fit with the
development model that is apparently inspiring things at the moment.
Being connected to the internet and using distributed tools is
apparently not good enough anymore. It appears that the rationale
behind Gopher is to be able to work off-line on the train.

Something which fits together with the modern distributed paradigm,
Bazaar/git/mercurial, is looking to be the ideal.

>> several more for sure, like OBSystemBrowser, Shout, TTF fonts etc)
>> ends in a big thing which Juan don’t want..

My current thinking is to ask Juan to simply improve the base of Cuis
with multiple update streams for miscellaneous uses...

a.) Suggesting kernel patches to Juan
b.) Managing your own patches, and preferences for the kernel.
c.) Improving or providing new subsystems (i.e. a package manager)
d.) building a product for a client
e.) publishing a maintenance stream for a delivered product.

This sounds simple, and it is very simple as long as you don't try and
do too much in a step.
There is a need to have waypoint images along the way to keep things
synchronised.

If you want the ability to rebuild from scratch, the updates mechanism
will have to include the notion of synchronisation between update
streams, and that is where it gets tricky.

So I propose that the /updates kernel patches stream, managed by Juan,
be adopted as the master timeline for the evolution of the cuis image.
Because this is the mechanism that Juan is using himself.

So if you build your system on top of a Cuis release, patched and
maintained by Juan, via the /updates mechanism. Then legitimately it
remains a memeber of the "Cuis" family, because all of your updates
will be released as 0363-0001-MyCleanUp-kph.st to be applied after the
Juan's 0363 update.

>> I have Minimal, as several times said here.
>> It’s only 7.3 mb and could load all 3.10 could load without any
>> more as a enhanced CodeLoader.

I hear you, and for my purposes, this would make a LOT of sense. To
use minimal as an intermediate solution. German's point about it
running Pier is well taken.

>> Maybe is not so nice and sure not so clean.
>> But is powerful and deserve be polished.

Therefore I think that we should try implement processes that will be
able to manage and cross fertilise between Cuis and minimal.

>> Naming the beast is open to suggestion.

Go ahead, pick your rodent or marsupial.

>> LaVizcacha , which is a mammal bigger and uglier as Cuis.

A bit of a mouthful.

>> ElZorro , a mammal who eat Cuises.

Very good.

>> ElPerro, a domestic mammal founded in houses and cities.

Perro - I like it

Keith