[squeak-dev] Package name prefix-matching (was: modularity goals (was: The Trunk: ToolBuilderTests-fbs.1.mcz))

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 00:21:16 UTC 2013

>> PS -- Since it was for aesthetic reasons, it would be better and more
>> consistent if it were named "ToolBuilder-Tests" instead of
>> "ToolBuilderTests".
>
> Sure, but then Monticello forces you to have as many packages as there are
> ToolBuilder-Foo thingies, right?  That's ok for ToolBuilder, but for Tools

I was talking about ToolBuilder-*, not Tools.  The other packages in
the family are

  ToolBuilder-Morphic
  ToolBuilder-MVC
  ToolBuilder-SUnit

Whoa!  ALL of which have no definitions!  Frank is this something you
modularized out?  So we should somehow remove these WorkingCopy's from
the trunk image.  Via some postscript perhaps?

> it doesn't fly.  It forces
> Tools-Deployment-Base, Tools-Deployment-Browser, Tools-Deployment-Debugger
> et al so one can have Tools-Deployment & Tools-Tests.  This is better
> long-term (can pattern e.g. match off Foo-Deployment) but more work up-front
> than moving Tools-Tests to ToolsTests.

I don't know whether something changed recently but...  What I
remember encountering was that clicking "Browse" on, i.e., Tools in
the MC browser would show me everything in the image that was prefixed
with "Tools", INCLUDING "Tools-Tests".

For that reason, when I decided to extract a "-Tests" package from
Magma, I had to rename the original categories (which had no suffix)
with a "-Core" suffix as well as the package.  I developed the "rename
package..." function of the MC Browser for this purpose.

Now, however, browsing "Tools" gives me only those categories starting
with "Tools-".  So, maybe something changed.

So, you're right, I would not rename ToolsTests to Tools-Tests.  But
nor would I choose the "Deployment" nomenclature if we decided to
tackle it.  Something else..