[squeak-dev] Package name prefix-matching (was: modularity goals (was: The Trunk: ToolBuilderTests-fbs.1.mcz))

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 00:32:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> PS -- Since it was for aesthetic reasons, it would be better and more
> >> consistent if it were named "ToolBuilder-Tests" instead of
> >> "ToolBuilderTests".
> >
> > Sure, but then Monticello forces you to have as many packages as there
> are
> > ToolBuilder-Foo thingies, right?  That's ok for ToolBuilder, but for
> Tools
>
> I was talking about ToolBuilder-*, not Tools.

It's an example.  ToolBuilder is easy cuz there's a package called
ToolBuilder-Kernel.  Look at Tools and you'll see the more general naming
issue.

>  The other packages in
> the family are
>
>   ToolBuilder-Morphic
>   ToolBuilder-MVC
>   ToolBuilder-SUnit
>
> Whoa!  ALL of which have no definitions!  Frank is this something you
> modularized out?  So we should somehow remove these WorkingCopy's from
> the trunk image.  Via some postscript perhaps?
>
> > it doesn't fly.  It forces
> > Tools-Deployment-Base, Tools-Deployment-Browser,
> Tools-Deployment-Debugger
> > et al so one can have Tools-Deployment & Tools-Tests.  This is better
> > long-term (can pattern e.g. match off Foo-Deployment) but more work
> up-front
> > than moving Tools-Tests to ToolsTests.
>
> I don't know whether something changed recently but...  What I
> remember encountering was that clicking "Browse" on, i.e., Tools in
> the MC browser would show me everything in the image that was prefixed
> with "Tools", INCLUDING "Tools-Tests".

Yes.  But we're talking about splitting things into packages.  If you
split, say. Tools-Browser into its own package you can't have Tools-Base,
Tools-Debugger, et al in the same package.  They *all* have to go into
separate packages.

> For that reason, when I decided to extract a "-Tests" package from
> Magma, I had to rename the original categories (which had no suffix)
> with a "-Core" suffix as well as the package.  I developed the "rename
> package..." function of the MC Browser for this purpose.
>
> Now, however, browsing "Tools" gives me only those categories starting
> with "Tools-".  So, maybe something changed.
>
> So, you're right, I would not rename ToolsTests to Tools-Tests.  But
> nor would I choose the "Deployment" nomenclature if we decided to
> tackle it.  Something else..

Good short words much preferred.  Deployment is an awful mouthful.

--
best,
Eliot