[squeak-dev] Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Thu Jan 17 22:05:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, January 17, 2013 3:57 pm, Edward Boyce wrote:

>  Everyone,
>
>      Until yesterday, there wasn't any article on Wikipedia about
> Andreas.  Someone created one, which is great.  But the Wikipedia
> editors in their very finite wisdom have decided that Andreas Raab is
> not sufficiently notable to warrant a Wikipedia article:
>
> http://en.wikipediaorg/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Andreas_Raab

The question is whether there are reliable third-party sources about
Andreas, particularly whether there are any that give biographical
details. Most of what comes up in a Google search about him is by him or
the community, which doesn't count by Wikipedia standards. But you might
see whether any of this qualifies.

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/pers/hd/r/Raab:Andreas.html
Andreas Raab Coauthor index pubzone.org
List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server

http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/cf58c358-46ee-465e-b6db-2740e9b32a53
Andreas Raab at SqueakMap
Packages

Of course, if someone can write a biography and get it published in any
recognized industry publication, then someone else could cite that.
Particularly if a recognized authority such as Alan Kay were to write it.

>   I've long ago given up on the futility of trying to add useful
> information to Wikipedia,

I have only found that to be a problem on certain contentious pages,
mainly to do with economic theory. I add stuff to Wikipedia all the time.
I did run into a notability objection once when I created a stub for a
music group, before I got a chance to list their recordings and movie
credits. After that the objection went away.

> but this injustice demands a response.  I'm
> not sure what response might be effective, but adding objections to
> the discussion page is one possibility.

Simply objecting will not be effective. Explaining that you have material
to add will get you a few days to add it. If you don't have anything to
add that meets Wikipedia's requirements, please do not complain about the
injustice of the world.

> Adding any references to the
> article itself might be another.

References provided above.