[SqueakDBX] Re: Running the tests on Squeak 3.8.2 and MySQL 4

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:43:05 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net>

> Hi Mariano,
>
> I bring this back to the dbx list, so other people using my vintage
> setting can benefit from it. Let's continue there.

yes please. Thanks.

> Following your suggestion I tried to run all tests. I got me
> OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.235.mcz as you suggested in private
> mail.
>
> In 3.8.2 UIManager does not exist.

Ok, I didn't know.

> So (see debugger.png) I can't select the
> backend. I can easily circumvent this by manually setting
> DBXBaseTest>>facility:

That's exactly what you should do :)

> Question is: Do you want a solution that also works on 3.8? Then I can
> try to change FacilityTestResource>>setUp.

yes, it would be ok.

> Here we have two possible ways:
> -All versions use ChooserMorph (I don't recommend this, ChooserMorph
> might get deprecated some time).
> -I do some ugly checking of SytemVersion current and based on this
> either use your code or ChooserMorph.

I rather this option. But, take into account that Pharo for example, doesn't
have SytemVersion. I don't know even what it is. What about using something
like Smalltalk at:  and see if there is that class and use one or another
depending on that?
I know it is ugly, but it is just a little piece and in a test resource
hahaha.

> After setting
>
> DBXBaseTest facility: DBXMySQL4Facility facilityForTest
>
> I end up with a missing libpq.dll (MissingDLL.png). Google says
> libpq.dll is from postgres.

This is impossible. I don't understand. The only way that can happen that is
if the PostgreSQL backend is being used. But you are using MySQL4. Would you
mind putting a breakpoint in DBXPostgresPlatform class >> backend  ??

If this message is sent....we are in problems :)  I mean, It SHOULDN'T be
called, as you are using MySQL4. If it is called, can you please see why ?
haha

I hope if we resolve this the information following will be
> unnecessary but it might contain some clues for you.
>
> So:
> Recovering from that I have to Alt dot to get a debugger.
>
> What makes me wary is that the debugger is in
> DBXMySQLPlatform>>openConnection (not ..MySQL4...) and the settings
> have the wrong user "sodbxtest" as you can see in the Explorer in
> World.png.

Ok, definitively it is using another facility :(  It is using the
DBXMySQLFacility instead of the DBXMySQL4Facility.

Are you sure you did a
DBXBaseTest facility: DBXMySQL4Facility facilityForTest

instead of a

DBXBaseTest facility: DBXMySQLFacility facilityForTest

While the Transcript.png shows "Acess denied for user: software_user"
> which is the user I hard coded into the method.

Can I see your DBXMySQL4Facility class >> createConnection   ??

I don't understand. In the transcript is correct but when connects it is
wrong ?

> I verified that software_user with the password I hard coded can
> create and populate a table in database sodbxtest. Same problems when
> I hardcode the mysql administrator account.

Ok. Please put a breakpoint in DBXConnection >> openConnection: aConnection

and show me what you have in

    aConnection database
    aConnection userName
    aConnection userPassword