[Squeakfoundation]An architecture for sustainable Squeaking

Joseph Pelrine squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:06:32 +0200

You're right, modularity is not everything, but it's a big step in the
right direction. If you want to check out some good reference sources,
start out by reading

"An Overview of Modular Smalltalk" by Alan Wirfs-Brock & Brian Wilkerson, and
"Orwell - A Configuration Management System for Team Programming" by Dave
Thomas & Kent Johnson

both in the OOPSLA '88 proceedings.

Alan Wirfs-Brock has done some very important work in this direction. You
can find more of his papers at http://www.instantiations.com/sts/pubs.htm

More recent work can be found in Gamma et al.'s Paper on TeamStreams,
presented at XP 2000 (I'm not sure whether there's a web link to it), and
(of course <grin>) "Mastering ENVY/Developer" by Pelrine, Knight and Cho,
available at any of the rare bookstores that still sell Smalltalk books.

Most of the work I'm doing for Stable Squeak is involved in implementing
these and other ideas aimed at managing modularity in Squeak. I'm on a roll
now, and may be able to show something next week.

Of course, full namespace support - including method-level namespaces -
would help a lot of things ;-)

On the other hand, code quality can't be learned from a book. I benefited a
lot from having had access to world-class Smalltalkers who would whack me
upside the head if my code was crappy. It became a matter of pride for me
to write clean code. If you're alone, SUnit and full-strength SmallLint
help a lot.

Cheers
Joseph