[Squeakfoundation]re: releasing SqueakMap

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:36:30 +0100

John M McIntosh <johnmci@smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 11:11  PM, Craig Latta wrote:
>
> > 	So release a 3.4final. :)  If we just finish testing SqueakMap, we're
> > done!
> >
> >> I'd think one should finalize 3.2 and stuff SM into it mostly because
> >> that's a way for people to distribute content/apps/changesets/? in the
> >> 3.2. environment.
> >
> > 	I think that's a bad idea. We have a final 3.2 already; it just
> > happens
> > to lack a particular feature (SqueakMap). Why not just put that feature
> > into 3.4, and, after testing it, declare it 3.4final? It doesn't make
> > any sense to me to tamper with 3.2final, because none of its existing
> > features are catastrophically broken.
>
> Mmm I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight. so let me summarize?
>
> 3.4 is 3.2 + 3.3 critical changes + (SM & fixes)
>
> Finalize that, then proceed to 3.5alpha
>
> Yes?

Sounds pretty fine to me. Just as long as we give 3.4alpha a time to
"rest" before finalizing. Otherwise we will not have a chance to clean
up any mess we might have introduced...

regards, Göran

PS. Yesterday I moved SqueakMap to 1.04 according to instructions from
Scott. This means it is now "extension clean" with regard to 3.2.1 and
3.4alpha. It also means that it will protest if being installed in 3.2.