[Squeakfoundation]Harvester status for Marcus Denker

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Jun 9 13:37:11 CEST 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>

>>Except for one thing - I haven't seen him post critical comments on any of the
>>code he's reviewed, and for anyone that's going to be able to get stuff
>>into the image where we all have to live with it, I want to know that he
>>can be point out where code is lacking.

True, although I have to admit that I don't often have comments about
the source code that I'm reviewing.  More often I have a comment about
some aspect of what the change does. (such as my extra comments about
the BoundsInHaloFix2 changeset)

I guess I usually just give the source code (diffs) a quick look-over to
make sure that nothing jumps out at me as being ugly.  As far as judging
source code, another factor is who wrote it... typically I will have a
level of trust that somone like Ted Kaehler or Ned Konz won't need to
have their code heavily scrutinized, but I may look more closely at the
code of someone I don't know.  (However, external testing is another
matter... that's equally important for all submissions.)

>Personally I have found that the
>code I have reviewed from others generally is good - but class comments
>and method comments tend to lack IMHO.
>
>I really want the quality of comments to be higher in the official
>classes. I would personally never let classes in without class comments.

This is probably a good rule of thumb.  New classes should certainly
include class comments before we approve them.  It's harder to have any
simple rule about method comments... most methods do not need comments
and should not have them, but some methods do need comments.

>>Except for the selection aspect, this is also important because posting
>>these public comments is the way knowledge is transmitted about good/bad
>>practice, and not just to the author of the specific code.
>>
>>What does everybody think?
>>

>I definitely think Marcus should be a Harvester - if he likes to be one.
>:-)

I agree.  (Oh wait, I see he's already approving items anyway... :-) )

- Doug Way