[Squeakfoundation] Release schedule

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Mar 4 08:55:54 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 17:48, Simon Michael wrote:
> However, with a steady monthly rhythm and known dates we would
> all soon adjust.

I think a month is too short. My preference is still a quarter now and
probably slowing down to 6 months when all there's left to be released
centrally is just the kernel/core.

In any case, I feel we must not set goals at this point in time that
will risk the next production version getting out much later than in ~3
months. The reason is that the changes are going to be massive (with all
the 'taking apart' going on), and the smaller steps we make, the more
likely we'll be in succeeding.

I did a 5 month release last december (i.e. work collected since Summer
2002). I deeply regretted it, and immediately proclaimed a weekly
schedule. May sound like a deadline, but as we're just scoping time, not
work, it is actually much more relaxed.