[Squeakfoundation]Proposed 3.5 release plan

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Mar 12 14:11:14 CET 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Sounds fine to me. Small comments -
> In my eyes, the reason is more to have an unusually clean release,
> before we an unusual mess of things by starting to pull stuff out, than
> to fix any two particular bugs. Those two happen to be ones we'd like to
> release before 3.6.

Yes, I'll add a comment about wanting to have a release free of major bugs as
a sort of baseline fr people to use, before the "turmoil" of package removal
etc. in 3.6 begins.

> I think if we haven't decided it by now, it's quite unlikely that 3.5+1
> will be 4.0. We haven't prepared for or talked about a compatibility
> break at all, and it seems to me like the sort of thing you want to do
> right at the beginning of a release cycle. So 3.6 is pretty definite.

I agree.  I think there's been a sort of assumption that we would want to get
started with splitting packages off of the image for at least one release
before worrying about a possible image format change.  So if there are no
objections I'll remove the tentative tone about "3.6" in the announcement and
declare that the post-3.5 release will definitely be called 3.6.

We will need to start thinking about when a possible image format change might
happen, which Tim brought up recently.  I think we're agreed that a major
version number change should be used for an image format change, it's just a
matter of when... we could go from 3.6 -> 4.0, or 3.6 -> 3.7 -> 4.0, or... 
Anyway, we don't have to decide on that now.  Perhaps Tim can comment further.

- Doug Way

More information about the Squeakfoundation mailing list