[Squeakland] Where can I find a description of make siblings

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Dec 23 03:42:35 PST 2004

Hi, Stéphane, and all,

>Is there somewhere a description of the difference between copy and
>make siblings?

Thank you for this reminder!  Here's a first draft of an explanation;
in this form, it will probably only be intelligible to people already
familiar with the concepts of class and instance, but I hope this
provides a useful point of departure.

There are two different kinds of "copying" available in the morphic
etoy user-interface, here for convenience called "make-deep-copy" and
"make-sibling-instance."

Both of these create clones of the original object, with exactly the
same appearance, structure, state, and behavior.

The main difference is that a "deep-copy" has no ongoing affinity to
the original, so that no code or structure change to the original
will affect the copy in any way, and conversely no change to the copy
will affect the original, whereas a "sibling-instance" is another
instance of the original's uniclass, so that when you add, delete or
change any script in either one, the change is instantly felt by the
other (and by all other siblings,) and when you add, delete, rename,
or change the type of an instance variable of any one, the structural
change is immediately propagated to all of its siblings.

Another difference is that there are various scripting commands (in
the "scripting" category of a Viewer) and scripting controls ("apply
my status to all siblings" menu command available in the "when should
this script run" menu of any script, as seen in a viewer, scriptor,
or other tool) which allow communications to be made to all siblings.
These apply only to true siblings, and not at all to copies, no
matter how similar, made via the bright-green "duplicate" halo handle.

Though as usual we thirst for better names, arguably both ways of
manufacturing a new object by copying from an existing one are needed.

There are various ways a user can obtain each kind of copy; here are
a few that have "always" been available (i.e for at least the last
five years) and are still available in exactly the same ways in 3.8:

To get a "deep-copy":
*  Drag from the bright-green halo handle.
*  Choose "duplicate" from the "halo actions" submenu of the red halo menu.

To get a "sibling instance":
*  Choose "make a sibling instance" or "make multiple siblings" from
the "siblings" submenu of the red halo menu.
*  Open a viewer on the object (e.g. Car), go to the "miscellaneous"
category of the Viewer, and find the "Car's copy" phrase and then...
-	Choose "give me a copy now" from the phrase's menu.
-	Or run a script containing a "Car's copy" phrase.

-------

Notice that in the above, the only kind of copy obtainable directly
from a halo handle has been the "deep-copy" of the bright green
handle, whereas the only kind of copy obtainable from an etoy script
or viewer is a "sibling-instance", which has had no halo-handle
counterpart.

In practice, once you have scripted a morph (i.e. given it variables
or scripts or both,) what you almost always actually want, when you
want a copy, is a sibling instance, rather than a deep-copy.  So it
has always been a problem that the bright green "duplicate" handle is
so tantalizingly beckoning in the halo, whereas make-sibling-instance
has had to be fished for in a submenu of a menu.

The change made in 3.8 is that once an object has been *scripted*,
the halo handle seen at the top-right of its halo will now be an
olive colored handle whose operation makes a sibling-instance rather
than a deep-copy.

Note that the deep-copy alternative is still always available, via
"halo actions... duplicate", it's just that you have to fish for it
in the menu of a scripted object, just like you have to fish for the
make-sibling alternatives in the menu of an unscripted object.

This is obviously not a perfect solution, but it does now make the
most-likely-desired duplication operation be the easiest one to
obtain, while making the alternative operation still available from
the halo menu.

Cheers,

  -- Scott