[Squeakland] Little problem (update)

Charles Starrett mac at cstarrett.com
Wed Mar 1 15:08:12 PST 2006

I saw the same behavior of two lines being drawn at once with my own
(clean) recreation of your script.  On further experimentation, I
observed that the base of the triangle which is drawn when "batch
pen" trails is true, is in fact the line between the end-points of
the two sides that appear to be drawn at once when "batch pen" is
false.  In addition, the balloon help for "batch pen" states:

> if true, detailed movement of pens between display updates is
> ignored.  Thus multiple line segments drawn within a script may not
> be seen individually.

I think there's a correlation -- a problem with something (display or
otherwise) not being updated at the correct time.

An experiment to back up this theory: Turn "batch pen" on again, and
raise the pencil count test up to 5 or more, and click the script
firing button.  You will see that the pencil does indeed get around
to finishing the square.  The errant diagonal is only drawn on the
first two iterations.  What should have been the first two sides
eventually get drawn after the third and fourth sides in this
scenario.  This must be a bug somewhere in eToys.

One other note for people who understand the underpinnings of eToys
better than I: this errant behavior is exhibited both through the
firing button and through the "run this command once" exclamation
button at the top-left corner of the script window.  Only clicking on
the clock gives the correct behavior.

Sorry to raise more questions than answers. Although I love
troubleshooting, I'm a newbie myself.

Best,
Charles