[Squeakland] Ideas for SqueakFest '08?

Eric Eisaman eric.eisaman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 11:28:37 PST 2007

Howdy Squeak Enthusiasts,

I teach for the U.S. Dept. of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) in Guam,
USA.  Guam resides about two and one-half hours east of the Philippines, six
hours north of New Zealand, and ... well quite far from Chicago.  I do plan
routine trips to the states to see family and friends and attend
professional trainings however, due to my economic situation they don't
occur every year or even bi-annually.

I had tried to attend last year's SqueakFest but wasn't quite able to pull
it off. I would love to see some consortium activity in the Pacific Rim
Region. It seems plausible to me since at least a few of Squeak's "Heavy
Hitters" are native to this region that such a get together can be planned
and executed.

In another note, I sense Squeak's worldwide momentum could be enhanced by
sharing consortium with humanitarian sponsor organizations of OLPC and the
like. My sense is that we, Squeakland, should apply as much
effort in building worldwide humanitarian solidarity with as much vigor as
we do to our code stream in order to effectuate the societal changes
envisioned through the Dynabook concept. I see some fine inroads being
developed, but the humanitarian workforce and vision to sustain and develop
these roads even further can't be just expected to happen without some
larger scale meetings of the well minded hoi polloi (not an oxymoron, they
actually exist). The high class teas and power lunches with heads of state
and CEO's can only get us so far. We must formulate and conduct large scale
worldwide musters with the humanitarian purpose at the core of each assembly
to truly reach a "Dyna"mic kingdom. So in closing, Chicago sounds great yet
I'd still like to see some more action worldwide. I have been a proponent
for Squeak since 2002 throughout all of DoDEA and my community. I am more
than willing to work with others in my region to effectuate even greater
change.

Regards,

Eric Eisaman
AP Physics Teacher