[Squeakland] Please visit the new Etoys website!

Timothy Falconer timothy at immuexa.com
Tue Sep 16 06:54:57 PDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Bill Kerr wrote:

> Teens are edgy, wannabe adults. Many of them are not looking for
> soft pastel.

This is often true for teenage boys in some areas (US, etc) , but not
others (Caribbean, Africa, Japan, etc).   Might seem like a bigger
demographic because GameMaker appeals to teenage boys :)    It's also
hard to do edgy without requiring more frequent design updates to keep
trendy (otherwise run the risk of looking out-of-date.)   The current
site will likely stay fresh in style for 5+ years.

> They address this issue by simply displaying a variety of current
> games / projects on their home page

There's always a tradeoff here ... you can also make the case that
just as many first-time visitors are *lost* because of those busy home
pages.  Imagine technically timid teachers and girls saying "not for
me" on the GameMaker site.  (I certainly can.)

Tim

--
Timothy Falconer
http://bigfractaltangle.com