[Squeakland] Saving in etoys

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 00:10:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:

> Bill Kerr wrote:
>
>> Some of the new features on etoys are great and / or look really
>> interesting.
>>
>> Here are some comments and questions about the new etoys (running on
>> Windows) based on a preliminary look:
>>
>> 1) Default saving goes to a non existent folder C:\My Pictures\My Squeak
>> and so saving fails. Solve this problem by holding down the mouse button=
 on
>> the Keep icon and then an option to navigate to a desired folder becomes
>> available. This is not explained on the balloon help of the Keep icon,
>> although it is explained on the balloon help of the Find icon.
>>

> You mean saving a project tries to save in that location?
> Which Windows and etoys version are you using?
> Did you start it standalone or in the browser?

Sorry, I was mistaken about saving in a non existent folder and failing to
save. It was confusing though because the folder was 5 layers deep:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\ My Squeak\ Squeaklets

I don't think this is a convenient default saving location and will cause
confusion for those using Etoys for the first time. Here is what the
beginner will have to do:

Saving by just clicking on the Keep icon (not holding down mouse):

   - Save correctly, this requires clicking on the My Squeak folder
   - Note the path of the My Squeak folder is not shown, which makes it
   harder to locate later
   - Note that it saves in the Squeaklet folder, not the folder that you
   have to click on but a subfolder of the My Squeak folder. Actually the p=
opup
   balloon says this, which is confusing language: "Save in the place speci=
fied
   below, and in the Squeaklets folder on your local disc"

Saving by clicking on Keep icon and holding down the mouse:

   - How would a new user know to hold down the mouse? It is not mentioned
   in the balloon help for the Keep icon
   - I don't see any difference than the Publish and the Publish As...
   options. I would have thought that Publish As... would offer folders with
   paths
   - Click on Publish to Different Server. For me that option implies
   publishing on a network but actually it is what you have to do to obtain=
 the
   folder with path options
   - Publish This Project window does not offer an option to create your own
   new folder

This is not user friendly saving