[squeakland] Mesh Networking for Etoys?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Aug 26 01:45:26 EDT 2011

So I have been playing with ScratchConnect for Etoys, Scratch/BYOB and
python (scripts
here<http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Communicating_to_Scratch_via_Python>)
and was able to connect all three and exchange messages using the Remote
Sensor Protocol
<http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Remote_Sensors_Protocol>developed
for Scratch.

So I see this can be used in a couple of ways:

   1. Have Etoys and Scratch interact where one computer is the Game Board
   and the others are game controllers (or they are all a combination of both)
   2. Multi-player games
   3. An Etoy project that "reacts" to external events (ex: animations fire
   when you receive a tweet or a remote sensor in your room detects that your
   little brother/sister has broken into your room without proper
   authorization).
   4. Interface to robotics using Python interfaces (or using Physical Etoys
   and a controller on an iPad)
   5. Interface to Social Networking sites using Python interfaces (example
   auto-post to a blog using the Google APIs)
   6. All of the above using a web site as the Mesh Relay

So my questions are:

   1. Am I over simplifying? What am I missing as to why this wouldn't work?
   2. Can we add ScratchConnect with one enhancement (similar to those in
   BYOB <http://byob.berkeley.edu/>) where the Etoy project can act as a
   HOST (ie: no need for a Scratch project to relay the messages) or simply
   join a Mesh
   3. Can we setup a "Web Relay service" where kids (like me :) can setup
   private Mesh Networks and interact and play? How hard would this be and what
   would it take?
   4. The ScratchConnect interface currently does not support serializing
   and transporting objects (ie: it would be great if I could "serialize a
   morph" send it over the ScratchConnect interface to another Etoys project
   and have it appear there).  I know there was work like this with either the
   Nebraska Server, ?NetMorph? et al, but I like the simplicity of the
   ScratchConnect  interface.

Stephen