[SqNOS] Failed to load to SqueakNOS...

Юрий Мироненко tallman at inbox.ru
Fri Mar 19 16:47:23 UTC 2010

Thanks Gerardo for your answer. It was a reason I tried to boot into SqueakNOS just now. Unfortunately, I failed.

First, I dounloaded two files, SqueakNOS-8-Mar-2010-Disk.7z and SqueakNOS-19-feb-2010.tar.bz2 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeaknos/files/. I beleive first is VMware virtual computer copy, so I put it aside. Second is ISO image (and vmx file, I expect for VMware diskless CD-bootable virtual computer).

I used UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make a bootable SD-card for my eeepc-900 from those ISO.

Then I restarted my laptop with SD card installed, changed BIOS settings to boot from SD Card, and I got into GRUB menu with several lines in it for different resolutions.

Unfortunately, process not goes further :) For any menu entry I it reports something like "Missing or corrupted kernel". I failed to switch myself into command-line mode. Pressing "c" do nothing, "ctrl+c" and "esc" switch me to "boot:" prompt, which asking me for kernel name, not commands. Manual "SqueakNOS.kernel" and "/SqueakNOS.kernel" typing do not helps. Pressing "tab" (for autocomplition) lists several entries like "unetbootindefault", "ubnentry0" and so on, but typing as kernel names calls error message, too.

Maybe it's something wrong about UNetbootin ? I can see several additional files on the SD card if compared them to .iso:
 ldlinux.sys
 menu.c32
 syslinux.cfg
 ubnfilel.txt
 ubnkern
 ubnpathl.txt

I thought it's grub files, but I'm not sure anymore - maybe it's files of "normal" GRUB, not your modified version? For example, I do not understand if menu I saw goes from /boot/grub/menu.lst or from /syslinux.cfg ? They both have lines with SqueakNOS. I think it's second one, becouse I can see "Default" entry in /syslinux.cfg , and there are no this name in /boot/grub/menu.lst And I see this "Default" line during boot.

I'll continue my experiments at home, where I have Ubuntu with grub command. But maybe you know whats going wrong?