Re[2]: [SqNOS] Failed to load to SqueakNOS...

Юрий Мироненко tallman at inbox.ru
Fri Mar 19 17:59:44 UTC 2010

> They say they use syslinux, but your said you saw a GRUB menu (blue screen?
> you sure it's GRUB?) So I guess they are chainloading the GRUB from the
> ISO image, now, what's weird, is that none of the files you listed came out of the
> .iso.

Sorry, I do not realize it's syslinux and not GRUB, especially becouse I saw "SqueakNOS 1024x768x32" and so on lines in it. But yes, it was syslinux, and they try to be smartass, so it looks like UNetbootin analyzed my menu.lst, and tried to make "similar" entries in syslinux.cfg

Well, I just followed this page http://community.corest.com/~gera/My%20Documents/Building,%20changing,%20booting%20and%20installing.html (really, I understands it's syslinux by reading "Copy grub.exe from /boot/grub to the root directory, and add the following lines to syslinux.cfg" line :), and chained GRUB with SYSLINUX, so I got into grub succesfully. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me much :)

It's something about VESA modes I beleive. First of all, vbeprobe looks damaged. It not list me supported modes if called without parameter. Next, I failed to understand format of mode string. I tried a decimal VESA numbers, I tried hexadecimal in "0x115"-like form, I tried "640x480x8" form. It prints me strange mode numbers (like "0x400") and said they are unsupported.

Well, if I choose, for example, 1024x768x32, it prints me a list of something looks like supported modes table. Every mode I tested outside this table do not works (i.e., displaying this very table as part of error report and "press any key to continue"). Every mode from this table are...hmm...works. Sort of.

There are two scenarios. First is loooong pause, and then - messy colored rectangle in topleft corner. Second is: printing "boot" in topleft corner (it looks like it was printed in graphic mode, not text), then looong pause, and then, again, messy colored rectangle in topleft corner.

This messy colored rectangle looks like those I saw when misscalculate some settings for videomemory in one of my projects. I can see some structure in this rectangle, not just random color.

And well, I remeber SqueakNOS works on ESUG conference on this very laptop...

> You are missing all GRUB files, and more specially, SqueakNOS.kernel (or
> SqueakNOS.kernel.gz) and  SqueakNOS.image or SqueakNOS.image.gz
> Has anything been extracted from the .iso into de SD card?

Yes, it was, I checked it. .kernel, .image and .changes are there.