[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:48:09 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Well, that gives us something to base a way forward upon.
> We need to really flesh out what people really want before going any
> further, I think.

I hate to be a broken record here but I really think we need to look
at moving to MVP to build on.  The other day I looked at change sets,
and deep down in a low level object I see "self confirm: 'are you sure
you want to do this?'".  It doesn't specify a gui but why does it
specify anything at all.  If I'm writing some code that calls this in
the background I have to find some way of suppressing this code.  It's
not the responsibility of this method to ask if it should do the work,
it's the responsibility of the GUI that presents the option.

The domains are spilled all over each other right now and I suspect
that's why Morphic is so impenetrable.  If we can fix that we can go a
long way to having a world class GUI, not to mention an easier time
with allowing more options.

And speaking of options, we have FFI already, what stops us from
calling native controls like Dolphin does?  Maybe we could even embed
them in our Squeak apps instead of full blown host windows.