[V3dot10] Release team problems; Draft Pavel

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 09:48:26 UTC 2007

Dear Edgar,
> Maybe  I misunderstand you.
> Seems what you talk about several images.

Well in practical terms there are lots of images, dev, full, fun, smp,
kernel etc, so why not talk about them.

And I think that if the base image doesn't adopt a number of cool
changes... let me think of one or two ...

for example, implementing #, on stream to do nextPutAll: , how about
including the Message eating Null in the base image, some Namespace
support... enabling Underscores in selectors.

If things like this do not happen then there will be several images in
the future that do, because there are users that want such things.
> Or is not you what start a 3.9.1` thing ? That and having the code on public

I am building an auto build server, to do this I need a few fixes, a few
fixes that can easily be loaded in to any 3.10 image created. Why should
this worry you? It is not competing with 3.10 in any way it is simply
testing out a few fixes for you to adopt in the future.

The idea of creating a real 3.9.1 in this way (as opposed to the
provisional 3.9.1 that I have got at the moment) is to make some space
for 3.10 to spend time on the minimisation while the fix harvesting
process can be done in 3.9.1.

3.9.1 includes only about 5 essential fixes and 5 others that are
present because I just harvested some to see what the process would be like.

> accessible page what some terrorist could change are two of what I don't
> agree.

Now Edgar, you are just being a little alarmist here!

I havent seen a single squeaker break in and edit the "public" wiki yet,
let alone a terrorist. The terrorist would have to be subscribed to this
list and workout that the password is 'squeak', and I admit it would
have to be a particularly clever terrorist to manage what clever
squeakers cannot.

The pbwiki site has full user password registration making it private is
a single mouse click away. Thats why I chose it because it has those
kind of features. (pier hasn't yet.)

Now I admit that the test results and images are not password protected,
but I didnt think that the fact that squeak cant pass its test suite
might be a matter of national security.
> But I support you right to do any experiments what at some point could be
> used.
> Don't forget what I lobby for including Installer in the base image.

indeed thank you
>> The update stream is only available for the privileged few who control
>> it. So the community only gets to test and review the solutions released
>> by the privileged few via the update stream.
>>

> Well, I must inform what this privileged guy must go back several times and
> stop what he wished of doing updates with .cs like was used until 3.9
>
> We have a team leader, the best one.
The best one. Hmm, well Ralph really managed to wind me up by being
overly negative about everything, I have tried to calm down.
>  And a very experienced adviser like
> Bert.
> Also former people in charge like Markus and Steph.
>
> What sometimes I have argues and silly questions don't means what all what a
> master said is not re read  several times.
>
> Book said what a perfect team counts seven people and what they should know
> each other well.

I suggest that you inform Ralph, whose first email to me after SEVERAL
to him, was "I don't know what an email filter is, I am annoyed with this".

As far as including 7 people in a team, how are we supposed to achieve
this? Everything I have done is intended to create a process in which
collaboration possible, hence the website approach.

I do not see how I can contribute to 3.10 while it is a closed process.
> I start emailing you private for this reason...
>
> In previous team I know Jerome and I try to get in. Also I try to get into
> Pavel and Klaus.
>
> If I was a millionaire also hire Lex , John, Tim, etc
>
> Keep good working. And be patient with old people of far far away galaxy ...
> eer countries
>
> Edgar

I am trying to be patient, but it seems that many things are running on
ahead.

If the proposed process says we shall have a test server and every
release, and all of the images derived from that release should pass all
tests. Then how can we start shipping completed 3.10 images until the
test server has been completed and used at least once?

Keith