[V3dot10] [ANN] TestReporter

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 10:32:42 UTC 2007

I am pleased to announce the command line launchable, gui-less
TestReporter making its way to a test server near you (soon).

The TestReporter generates two files:

1) the status/progress file gives a remotely viewable status report, the
file size gives an indication of the number of tests run so far. Its
filename gives you the results. When the file extension is capitalized
this indicates that the test is complete and the file icon changes
accordingly. (thanks apache)

2) The second file is the list of errors and failures.

To use it in an image with Installer, and Launcher, and my versions of
SUnit, and SUnit-GUI i.e. http://squeak.warwick.st/ab/output/make/391/LATEST

The simple example:

#squeak my.image TestReporter

For example results see
http://squeak.warwick.st/ab/output/make/391/NEW_RC/tests/

If you are curious to see the range of snazzy, if a little small,
results icons as served by apache, they are viewable here

http://squeak.warwick.st/myicons/testicons/

By default TestReporter runs #allStandardTests and filters out tests
marked as #toDo and #expectedFailures

To run a specific test suite in addition to the default settings

#squeak my.image TestReporter suites=myOwnTestSuite

or just my suite clearing the default settings
#squeak my.image TestReporter suites=myOwnTestSuite -default

or to run the default suites in specific categories

#squeak my.image TestReporter categories='Project*-Test'

TestRunner supports the same invocation methods, opening a GUI, and
simultaneously reporting its results via TestReporter.

The results can be filed into a MethodBrowser from the FileList, or
remotely via

(HTTPSocket httpGet:
'http://squeak.warwick.st/ab/output/make/391/NEW_RC/tests/tests-results.st')
fileIn.

But it helps if you have the fixes that enable a method browser to
display custom strings.

best regards

Keith