[V3dot10] [Q] About updates, take 3

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 24 19:35:07 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 19:46 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 1/24/07 3:32 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> escribió:
>
>> Thinking about this a bit more, I would probably add *nothing* to the
>> 3.9 stream now. Anyone who wishes to follow 3.10 updates should
>> switch the update stream manually. Normal users should only get an
>> offer to update to 3.9.1, if and when that ever gets done.
>>
>> - Bert -
>

> Ok. I resume.
>
> On  updates.list the three last line should be
>
> 7067updatebrowserspeedupfix.cs
> #Squeak3.10alpha
> 7068Starting3dot10.cs
>
> AND in 7068 add a strong warning with all what we know until now with
> options for user decide what to do.
>
> Ralph should do the ANN in list saying what brave people could risk
> now into
> 3.10 uncharted world
>
> I could put the user ready .image into servers ? Still complaints ?

Well, I didn't actually hear from Ralph that this is what 3.10 is
going to do. He has been appointed by the Board to lead the 3.10
release. If you start fiddling with changesets now, it's unclear how
to get this under one hat with Monticello.

3.9 final is almost completely clean, I think - there seems to be
just one last-minute fix by Marcus to the M17n package. This should
be cleaned up by making a new package version.

With your update applied, the ReleaseBuilder package in the image
becomes dirty. I don't think that's a good idea.

IMHO your changes should be put into a new version of the
ReleaseBuilder package, and that should be loaded into the image,
possibly using an update, which possibly could load a configuration
(see http://tweak.impara.de/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/). Or
use the Installer in that update, or something else to get the
package into the image.

Or has it been decided not to use Monticello anymore? Either way, it
is Ralph's job to decide how to proceed. I'm just offering advice.

- Bert -