[V3dot10] Rio status

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 9 21:44:33 UTC 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 16:57 , Keith Hodges wrote:
> I am posting here because this is the place where I first received
> encouragement to have a go at it, and this is the place where
> people who are interested in modularizing and shrinking Squeak are
> gathered.

Well, you are of course free to discuss anything anywhere, but this
list is specifically concerned with the next Squeak release. That's
why I was asking.

> Squeak-dev which is not always a sympathetic audience.

Indeed - but you should not fear that discussion. I'm pretty sure
nobody likes the way files are handled right now, everybody wishes
for something nicer, but what that will be is not settled yet. You're
invited to defend your design on squeak-dev.

On Mar 9, 2007, at 19:03 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Could we have Rio and Fileman ?

What do you mean with "could we have"? In 3.10? Wouldn't the general
policy for including completely new code be to release it first as a
separate package to a broader audience, and only include it in the
official image if it proves useful?

IMHO the release team is not the place to develop and push in brand-
new code, except to help the release process itself. A change to the
io subsystems for sure warrants a broader discussion. That's why I do
not understand why the discussion takes place on this list.

- Bert -