[V3dot10] Taking the blue pill

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 21:04:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 06:05:46AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 11/1/07 11:07 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> escribi?:
>
> > The change is broken up into 14 packages already. I have
> > converted the change into changesets and am trying to make a set
> > of 14 anti-changes to apply to 7158. Not sure if this is still
> > reasonable if edgar wants to delete 7158.
>
> If only I could do all using change sets as always wish ....
> But as I keep a copy of 7158 , maybe some of us could take the red pill.
> Remember the other proposal, marking the 172 methods for changing only the
> timestamp.
> Now we could revert the methods Jerome and others found should keep ==.
> And add the list to Mantis , so if some thing some troubles is related to
> change, could search this list first.
> With the time, all bad changes was reverted and the good ones keeped.
> I afraid the blue pill way take a couple of years for the 98% of 172 methods
> going to future releases.

Could you put changes 7142 and forward back on
ftp.squeak.org/updates? I am making a changeset that reverts the
== -> = change, so I can review it and safely re-apply it. But I
need the original update script to see which packages were
changed. You can have them at ftp.squeak.org/updates, and not
put them in updates.list if you want them to be strictly
experimental.

So far, I have 14 changesets that do the same thing as 7142, I
just need to make the reverse 14 change sets and run them
through diff to review. I will change the timestamps after I
review them.

7158 is a good release and is not worth abandoning. Only one bad
patch was put in it, and it can be reviewed and fixed if the
update-stream log is there to record the damage. I am about 40 %
through fixing the patch, and I would like to finish, but I need
the real 7142.cs, not the new one