[V3dot10] Taking the blue pill

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:40:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 06:42:53PM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> I should delete all newer of touched packages in 3.10 repository and do
> tricks for still I could load last versions from it.

Please don't. that is far more work than necessary.

> You don't need revert the 172 methods, only the few on which == is right and
> = is not.
> If you have this, send me and Ralph what you have, but again I was told to
> delete all from 7142 and do again the rest without it.
>
> Still you could take the red pill with some fresh copy of 7158.
> If you update using the button of squeak flap, you must have the original
> .mcz on your package-cache folder and also all the .mcd.

I did a full review of the 172 changed methods and fixed up the
ones that need fixing. The fixes applied cleanly to the 7158
image that was previously available at ftp.squeak.org. The fixes
are in bug report 2788, file 7142-fix.sar. It contains one .cs
for each package modified

> And if you convince people of using again .cs, I could send a couple of fine
> Argentina vinos (wine)

Well, not for the remainder of 3.10, I suppose. But for 3.11,
maybe. There is currently no way to have the flexibility and
debuggability of the update stream and have the modularity of
packages. I believe this could be possible with DeltaStreams,
since DeltaStreams, unlike change-sets, can be verified for
conflicts.