[V3dot10] Re: Tentative of start 3.11

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:39:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:46:10AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> El 1/31/08 9:06 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> escribi?:
> > Not sure what you mean here. I didn't see any cutting going on
> > in 3.10,
> Then you never use 3.10 base.
> Go to ftp, grab Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.zip and look at
> ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10 unloadSome

I remember that. Sorry for being rude.

> .sources have a 32 Mb limit.
> This was the origin Steph and Markus should made two SqueakV39.sources.
> At the beginning of 3.10 I warning this and the alternatives was
>
> 1) Deliver 3.10 with new 3.10.sources
> 2) Take Dan condenseSources for having compressed ones
> 3) Take Klaus 512 mb patch
>
> Ralph made a superior scheme , for having empty changes.
> The guy in charge of this was Maurice Raab,

Havn't heard much about it. I've thought a little about how
DeltaStreams may be used instead of .sources and .changes, and
Craig has a better sollution as well (kettle)

> For real different way, I have my own how to deal with this in
> ftp://edgardec:squeak@squeakros.atspace.com:21/squeakros.atspace.com/CompressedClasses
> date is 16/07/05 ....
> Could do same with the tentative image or any image we pick as start point.
> You could do
>
> | server hay unzipped zipped |
> server := (ServerDirectory serverNamed: 'SqueakRos').
> dir := server directoryNamed: 'CompressedClasses'.
> hay := dir entries detect: [ :any| any name = 'Url.sqz'] ifNone:[].
> hay ifNotNil: [self halt .
>     zipped:=  dir getFileNamed: 'Url.sqz'.
>     unzipped := RWBinaryOrTextStream with: (GZipReadStream decompressFile:
> zipped) contents.]
>
> and feed File Contens Browser for later processing

good Idea, I think. Make source-code loadable-on-demand, rather
than always having to pre-fetch it.

> > Personally, I think we should release every few weeks or so. If
> > we actually used the update stream the way it used to be used,
> > this would be no problem. However, I don't know whether we
> > should do that, as it would throw away all the work 3.9 and 3.10
> > did to modularize the system and make most parts of it
> > unloadable/loadable via MC. I think this is the first problem I
> > will tackle after DS is usable: making deltas aware of packages
> > in the system and able to update them, while actually keeping
> > all the records in DS rather that MC history. Or maybe colin has
> > a better solution.
>
> Well, nobody have perfect solution.
> And nobody take lead.
> And the ones who cares disagree how to proceed.

That is why I am calling a meeting, so we can discuss this and
share our ideas. Knowledge and communication are the first steps
toward making progress. Leadership is not necessary;
communication is.

> Maybe is time Squeak goes the way Linux .
> Several distributions with some guy behind and some more used and some died
> for no users.

Squeak has already gone that way. It is time we acknowledged and
embraced that reality, rather than pretend there is only one
release.

> 148 members now
> It's a caf? group, talking about all (futbol, movies, etc), with Squeak as
> the main subject.
> The native tongue is Spanish, but several understand English.
> Join and say whatever you like.
> And wait very fun responses

Will do.