[V3dot10] Re: Tentative of start 3.11

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 20:06:37 UTC 2008

> Keith is working here, suppose I should learn all he do.
> You thinks is possible doing with DeltaStreams and MC2 or we should pick
> only one ?
Matthew and I talked a little about the process earlier today.

1st idea - Integration Mechanism

3.11 work to be carried out as a series of separate initiatives that can
be easily integrated for testing.

As Edgar mentioned, he had talked to me about teamwork before. I have
always believed that teamwork is needed,  however I felt that the 3.10
process lacked something in this regard. Since, in order for teamwork to
be possible, I feel that there has to be a mechanism for team members to
work with, and contribute to.

The LevelPlayingField process facilitates this, via Installer scripts on
the installer.pbwiki.com website.
Sake can also be used for this with tasks being, managed in a monticello
package.

LevelPlayingField also allows the results of some initiatives to be
published for images other than 3.11. For example, Edgar suggested
working on Minimal Morphic for 3.8.2 or 3.10, with LPF he could do both!
DeltaStreams would be another example since Matthew wants DS to run in
everything.

The process of integration consists of running the LevelPlayingField
script, followed by the scripts for the integration steps that you want
to apply, e.g. MinorFixes, MajorFixes etc. This results in an image that
you can run the regression tests on via script: Test.

2nd Idea - DeltaStreams and Installer integration.

When running the above integration script, Installer can collaborate
with DS to generate one or more Delta's for the changes. A variant of
Installer could assemble a .sar of the changes.

This allows the result of a period of work to be published as one or
more structured Deltas. This Delta would be structured so that an
individual change is part of a group of changes pertaining to one fix.
This would allow a user to potentially cherry pick from the Delta if
they did not want all of the items.

3rd ... Monticello1.5

When a release is to be made the new state of the packages can be
snapshottted into a repository. This is really only a backup, however
the atomic loading functionality (when enabled) will allow these to be
loaded back in as and when.

4th Minimal Image as a step to the future.

Given that we have LPF for bootstrapping things in, the image can be
published without Installer, Monticello, SqueakMap, Universes, Tests, or
DS for that matter. This base image will be a better starting point for
new ideas such as MC2 / Sake Packages etc.

> What about all people in this list have "veto " rights ?
> So all could drive the release in his spare time.

Everyone can contribute to this mechanism, as and when they have time.

> As Matthew suggest, we could public discuss were we wish go.
see you all Saturday

Keith