[V3dot10] The Scope of 3.10.1

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu May 15 22:58:37 UTC 2008

Edgar,

You seem to have lots of ideas and goals and I'm not by any means
against that.  However I think we have to be realistic and define the
scope (what we will do) for 3.10.1 quite narrowly.  I thought this was
clear from the beginning but maybe it was not.  3.10.1 should only fix
those things that are wrong in 3.10 but not wrong in 3.9 or earlier, in
other words 'new bugs'.

At the top of my list were the SystemVersion and fractional seconds
issues.  Maybe there are other new bugs in 3.10 among those that Jerome
proposed or elsewhere.  I've not investigated those yet but will try to
do so before Monday.  But if any of those are problems that 3.9 also
had, I don't believe they should be addressed for 3.10.1.  We have a
limited schedule here and have to limit our goals.

If you want to tackle bigger fish for 3.10.2 or later, while I'm not
sure whether I agree or not, I'm sure I don't want to deal with it right
now.

As I understand it you have voiced your opinion that we should from this
point on update 3.10 using straightforward changesets as was done for
3.8 and earlier.  I'm willing to go with that and since we seem to be
the only ones involved I guess we can consider that decision made for
now.

Ken