[V3dot10] The Scope of 3.10.1

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri May 16 12:02:06 UTC 2008

El 5/15/08 7:58 PM, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com> escribió:

> Edgar,
>
> You seem to have lots of ideas and goals and I'm not by any means
> against that.  However I think we have to be realistic and define the
> scope (what we will do) for 3.10.1 quite narrowly.  I thought this was
> clear from the beginning but maybe it was not.  3.10.1 should only fix
> those things that are wrong in 3.10 but not wrong in 3.9 or earlier, in
> other words 'new bugs'.
>
> At the top of my list were the SystemVersion and fractional seconds
> issues.  Maybe there are other new bugs in 3.10 among those that Jerome
> proposed or elsewhere.  I've not investigated those yet but will try to
> do so before Monday.  But if any of those are problems that 3.9 also
> had, I don't believe they should be addressed for 3.10.1.  We have a
> limited schedule here and have to limit our goals.
>
> If you want to tackle bigger fish for 3.10.2 or later, while I'm not
> sure whether I agree or not, I'm sure I don't want to deal with it right
> now.
>
> As I understand it you have voiced your opinion that we should from this
> point on update 3.10 using straightforward changesets as was done for
> 3.8 and earlier.  I'm willing to go with that and since we seem to be
> the only ones involved I guess we can consider that decision made for
> now.
>
> Ken

I answer to Randall last night I don't do mails or #IRC until Monday.
Hope he is not angry if I try to clarify this mess one more time.
3.10 is ready, over, finito
3.10.1 is open and should keep opened as long we have some in Mantis people
think is ready to put into it.

+++++
Documentation to read before send new mails

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919 The 3.10 release

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5934 List of Mantis issues ready to be
included in 3.10
Here I see still four pendent and not harvested, so I should review if now
with .cs could go into 3.10.1

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5975 History of the 3.10 release
As at some point people complaint, I put a History Window into 3.10, modify
once to Pavel says (I listen people and listen Masters all the time)

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5990 Complaints about how 3.10 is going
Here only Hannes and Jerome was caring and give feedback

The TTF fonts is a very nasty thing, take Super Masters as Diego and Yoshiki
for deal with.
Was the source of troubles and mistakes, sees solved now as Jerome points to
right .cs to put

According with Ralph, we have always plans for a full release.
For I start to collect first hand info and anticipate troubles I do
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5988

>From pict you could see one " FUNSqueak3.10alpha.7070.image

As example you see  '141.89.221.253' connected remote [155]an
OrderedCollection('16/Jan/2007:12:13:56' '16/Jan/2007:12:13:56'
'16/Jan/2007:12:13:57' '[25/Jan/2007:07:45:48]' '[25/Jan/2007:07:45:49]'
'[25/Jan/2007:07:46:12]' '[25/Jan/2007:07:46:13]')

Another practical way of test our work could be useful to wide kinds of
projects
+++

Decisions made:

3.10.1 is open should keep open until we was happy all possible fixes and
EnH on Mantis fill our quality requerimetns.
Doing plain .cs all go faster

All 3.10.2 , 3.11 , etc is open to discuss until Board "publish 2009 season
rules ", sorry my disgression

I wish each opinion, I put 18 months of my life here and only wish learn
from real Masters.

I have a view , but others could have a better, deeper view.

Repeat once, Keith could have good faith, but IMHO is opening the Pandora
Box.

Is best use his talent in focused things.
"Hodges&Fullmer Racing" give us very excellent #unloadTraits (I don't have
idea how to do, and in last meeting I feel Pavel don't have such solution
ready)

When Board clear say

"Next image Rules For all teams"

Should unload as many packages they could and put into trusted repository...
Such packages should be loaded again into "2009Rules.image"  and nobody (at
first sight) could know this packages come from repositories.
All image should run Sunit.
All [BUG] and [FIX] should come from Mantis only and be loaded via...

a- plain .cs
b- DS
c- MC2

So maybe here is place to 3 teams !

I said having 3 teams is better, but FIA Stewards should be talented and
keep all playing by the rules
I know maybe I upsetting you, but read about Ferrari - Mc Laren scandal last
season.

I have examen in UTN today.
Read all post Saturday and do any .cs relevant or any I found in Mantis and
feel could be good having into 3.10.1.

I send any 7165 and newer to you and to Randall.
When both send me mail saying it's ok,  then I put onto the update stream.

Seems razonable to you ?

Enjoy the weekend sailing or going to mountains.
I go to yacht clubs and take pictures to put some place.