Possible 3.9 Release objectives

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Mar 7 05:26:05 UTC 2005

Okay folks, to kickoff the 3.9 Release Team discussion list, here is a
tentative list of 3.9 Release objectives that I culled from various
discussions.

I'll put these on a wiki soon.  I was going to put them on the
Coordinators wiki, although maybe a publicly editable wiki such as the
Swiki would be fine, so comments can be added.  (It was fine for
previous release to-do lists.)

As the 3.9 Release coordinator, I will try to gauge community opinion
on the big issues as far as what should go in, and remain mostly
neutral myself.  (I have a pretty neutral opinion myself on whether
most of these should go in.  The only one I personally really want to
see added is OmniBrowser.)

We will try to get feedback from stakeholders and the community before
including one of the "Major" features.

Feedback is welcome.  This is a public list and anyone can post,
although I'm sure it's a much smaller group than squeak-dev, and the
discussion won't feel quite as "public".  After it's discussed here a
bit, we can post to squeak-dev.  (Which of course doesn't necessarily
mean that anything is "final"...)

- Doug

Possible 3.9 Release objectives:

3.9 Basic Content
----------------------
- Major enhancements/features
   - Under consideration, needs further discussion:
     - Traits
     - New Compiler framework from Anthony adapted by Marcus
     - Final refactoring of SystemDictionary
     - RB engine
   - Probably going in, but discussion is welcome:
     - OmniBrowser
     - Monticello (*if* this is really needed to help partitioning, it
should go into Basic)

- Medium-sized & miscellaneous grab-bag enhancements to be considered,
listed here as a reminder.
   - A Services framework (to let any type of service register itself
without having to modify base methods).  Consider Romain's if the
implementation is solid/ready.
   - New Preferences pane
   - Keybindings
   - Bert's Enh for printing := in method body
   - Enh for self evaluation (Stef and Alex)
   - Andrew's fixes/refactoring of Association
   - Shout, eCompletion, etc. (depending on performance/necessity, some
of these should remain as separate packages)
   - ...
   - (Here is where more suggestions are welcome.  Especially for things
you haven't written yourself.)

- Partitioning
   - An ongoing process, will coordinate with Packages team (and Morphic
Splitters team)
   - Expect that the Packages team will choose a package format soon so
partitioning can begin during 3.9.  It does not have to be the perfect
format, since the Modules team may improve upon it.
   - Some partitioning should be complete for the 3.9 final release,
maybe not all
   - Partitioning of something into a package would not necessarily mean
removal from the 3.9 Basic configuration

- Other
   - Refine Smallland look changes, maybe scale back some changes to
improve performance
   - See if there are a few simple enhs that can be done to speed up
Morphic UI performance a bit
   - Consideration of Package Universes or similar concept, easily
accessible from the final 3.9 UI
   - Need to fix severe bug in 3.9a with scrolling when deprecation
warnings are turned on

3.9 Full Content
--------------------
- Maybe add a few packages to the Full release
   - Connectors (duh)
   - Genie

3.9 Process
---------------
- Get update stream restarted soon with a clearly defined process,
probably using unstable+stable stream
- Post-3.9-release fixes process, although this will probably start
with 3.8
   - Support post-release stable update stream, also 3.9.1, 3.9.2
version numbers

3.9 Timing
- Possibly June/July 2005, currently a vague target date

Post-3.9