[Vm-dev] squeak trunk patches

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 04:55:24 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 25 April 2017 09:31 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> On 24-04-2017, at 8:39 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I presume it will continue to remain relevant for the new
>> generation of ARM-based boards like RPi 3.

> Not especially. Pi uses a Cog/Spur VM by default, thus you would need
> to pay more attention to the github sources and the VMMaker image
> stuff you will find at
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

cog doesn't work with my 6502 images (yet!). I track all VMs including
osvm on github.

> Obviously the plain interpreter vm can be built for ARM since it
> merely uses gcc etc to build the executable; but it’s a *lot* slower
> than the CogSpur vm. Trust me; I’ve been doing Smalltalk on ARM for …
> ouch, 32 years.

True. My interest in VMs is academic. I work at system level with
scripts doing all the grunt work in headless mode on Rpi 3. RPi 3 costs
less than a tenth of a laptop, so the slower speed doesn't bother me much.

Regards .. Subbu