[Webteam] Suggestion for Squeak Website

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jul 13 10:18:21 UTC 2008

Douglas Krueger wrote:

> I used ST/V extensively years ago. I'm excited about building ST web
> apps now. It's either ST or PHP.  I'd love to see a step-by-step
> tutorial for the complete idiot about how to create the Hello World
> program and then how to turn it into a powerful, DB-driven
> production-ready website. I've heard about seaside and the free hosting,
> which I've signed up for but NOW WHAT?
>
> I've not even downloaded the Squeak Vm yet but when I do, I think I
> might be able to create Hello World (maybe) but how do I get that to run
> on the web? What do I upload?

Hi Douglas, welcome back to the Smalltalk world!

Best way to start is to download pre-prepared Squeak-web image:

	http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

There you have everything already installed and ready to use, both
Aida/Web and Seaside. Then you should go to both websites
(http://www.aidaweb.si, http://www.seaside.st) and follow tutorials.
Next step is to join mailing lists, come on the IRC to chat, etc. etc.

Ah yes, you need to download and install appropriate Squeak VM first:

	http://www.squeak.org/Download/

When you'll have both VM and image, go to image directory and start:

	squeak <image name>.image

I hope this will help for a start.

For more questions you can also join Squeak mailing lists:

	Beginers:
	Squeak Dev: