[Newbies] Newbie stuck on page 43 of SBE getting syntax error trying to run SBEGame (Quinto)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:30:03 UTC 2012

On 12-08-22 6:20 PM, dav0 wrote:
> Hmmm...  I tried saving & quitting, then downloading
> SqueakV39.sources.gz from http://squeak.org/Download/, unzipping this
> and copying the resulting SqueakV39.sources into my workspace and
> re-running my Squeak vm and I can still reproduce the error.
>
> I am also not sure what you mean by contemporary Squeak, but I am
> running this on Linux Fedora, with the latest squeak-vm which I
> installed using yum as follows:
>
> $ yum install squeak-vm
>
> $ squeak -version
> 3.10-5 #1 Mon Jun 21 22:10:08 UTC 2010 gcc 4.4.4
> Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159]
> Linux x86-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org
> <http://x86-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org> 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 #1 SMP Sun
> May 2 04:17:42 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> default plugin location: /usr/lib64/squeak/3.10-5/*.so
>
> As for the love of debugging, let's just say that I'm sharing the
> love.  :-)  Actually, I'd love to see this software work - it seems
> like a really neat language toolset.
>
> Thanks again,
> Dave

OK, I see where you're coming from. When I use Ubuntu 10.03 I get Squeak
by going to http://www.squeak.org and in the upper right hand corner is
the Downloads pane with a link that says All-In-One. Click that. I put
the unzipped package on my desktop. Then I cd into
Squeak-All-In-One.app. Once in there there is a script called squeak.sh.

./squeak.sh

in the Terminal and all that sources stuff is behind you. It'll open up,
etc. The deployment with yum is understandable, but that stuff relies
upon third parties whom are behind our update curve. The Squeak homepage
is the best place to get Squeak.

Chris