[Cryptography Team] New Members

Robert Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 20:28:00 UTC 2006

Hi Steven,

On Oct 4, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Steven Elkins wrote:

> I'm interested in the pure Smalltalk solution first, just because I
> think it's the path of least resistance.  Maybe I'm wrong.  :)

I like this too, but for cross-platform reasons.  No special code for
each platform or code that works on just a single platform.

> found a load order in another cryptography list message, downloaded
> the latest version of everything from SqueakSource, and started

This is the right thing to do.

> Cryptography-Core-rww.17.mcz
>    leaves CryptographyError in Undeclared
> Cryptography-SHA1-rww.8.mcz
> Cryptography-MD5-cmm.2.mcz
> Cryptography-DES-hmm.3.mcz
>    leaves interpreterProxy in Undeclared
> Cryptography-SHA256-RJT.5.mczCryptographyBase-hmm.18.mcz
>    defines CrytographyError
> Cryptography-ElGamal-cmm.3.mcz
> Cryptography-RSA-rww.5.mcz
> Cryptography-Rijndael-RJT.7.mcz
> Cryptography-ASN1-RJT.17.mcz
> Cryptography-RC4-rww.3.mcz
> Cryptography-DSA-rww.3.mcz
> Cryptography-X509-rww.21.mcz
> Cryptography-SSL-rww.93.mcz

CryptographyError should be moved to Cryptography-Core and
CryptographyBase should be renamed to Cryptography-Random.

> SSLCipherSuite subclass: #TLSNothing more expected
> ->_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
>    instanceVariableNames: ''
>    classVariableNames: ''
>    poolDictionaries: ''

I'll try to reproduce this, but it shouldn't be happening.  All in
all, you shouldn't worry much about Undeclared, since it is just a
class that references another class, before that class is defined.  I
see lot's of them when I load SSL, for instance.

The interpreterProxy issue will no get resolved.  There is a
DESPlugin class that subclasses from InterpreterPlugin, which is not
in the image.  No worries, since we don't use the DESPlugin an
probably ought to remove it.

> Probably the underscores.  :)  I was using an untouched 3.9g-7061 on
> Mac OS X when I saw this.  Should I use another image?  Change some
> preferences?  File something else in first?  Read every bit of the
> cryptography list archives?  Load in some other way?

No to all the above.   You were doing it right.

> Load in some other way.  I restarted the same image and installed
> Cryptography 0.3 from SqueakMap.

This is the original lib, that started the Monticello Cryptography
lib.   All this new stuff going on is in the Monticello lib.

> No underscore problem but it still
> leaves #interpreterProxy in Undeclared.  Selected Cryptography-ASN1
> and Cryptography-Tests in the Test Runner.  Errors.  Loaded...
>
>    Cryptography-DES-hmm.3.mcz
>
> ...and all but 2 of 23 passed, an assertion failure in
> CryptoTest>>testDSASigningAndVerifying and an error,
> MessageNotUnderstood (#unsignedLongAt:bigEndian) in the send chain
> that starts with encryptBlock: in CryptoTest>>testDES2.

Load the latest DSA package to address the first but we have other
errors with Rijndael.  I'll work at them.

cheers,
Robert