[Cryptography Team] Removing underscores

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 6 15:32:36 UTC 2006

Ron,

==================
It would appear that there is a fix for underscores but apparently the
community at large does not support them.  So although I agree that
underscores in methods and class names *SHOULD* be supported, how does
the
team feel about removing them from our code?
==================

Do whatever you think is best.  If you want to play along with the group
to gain acceptance, so be it.  If you want to draw an underscore in the
sand, that's ok too (though we might lose the fight), I'll gladly add a
voice to the background noise.

Squeak certainly should allow underscores in class names and selectors.
Your example (TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA) is extreme, but makes
the point beyond ANSI and inter-dialect compatibility.  The "it will
break old code" argument is weak IMHO - old code outside the image has
probably broken due to changes anyway, so the compiler errors are most
likely just the beginning.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida