[Elections] Election introduction email (was Re: Welcome New Elections Leader...)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Feb 3 02:14:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 20:43 -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> No I offered to help with the email but I was hoping that Göran would write
> it.

Oh, OK, sorry.

> Posting the email to the elections list first for review sounds like a
> good plan too.

As another option, if it is just the three of us we could maybe quickly
hack out any differences on IRC or Skype (text chat or voice).  I'm
watching the Superbowl with an older relative tomorrow evening but will
try to be available as much as possible otherwise.

> Hopefully we can get this done and sent out Monday, but
> Tuesday works for me too.  I suppose we could just eat the weekend and leave
> the schedule at 2 1/2 weeks for nominations?  Or do you think it needs to be
> pushed out?

Did you mean 1 1/2?  In any case, I should hope that anyone who plans to
run is actively thinking about it already (I know I am ;) ).  I
shouldn't think anyone who is willing to participate at the level of the
Board is so disconnected that they need more than a few days notice.

> We can also follow up the email from Göran about the election and schedule
> with specifics about SqueakPeople and Questions, stuff like that.  What
> would be good for Göran's email is just something to set the schedule and
> set the tone going forward.

I guess that's fine.  I'm just a little paranoid about having someone
claim that they 'didn't know' so I'm inclined to having, at least in
some abbreviated form, all the pertinent information in every official
team message to the community.  Seems like we should be able to put
together the pertinent details in short form quickly, here's my, I'm
sure incomplete, first pass (with specific values that probably need
some correction):

The 2008 Squeak Board Election schedule starts Feb 4th and nominations
for 2008 Squeak Board members is open until Feb 22nd.  If you plan to
run please announce it to the list by the 22nd.  After that we will have
a short campaigning period between Feb 22nd and the 29th.  The election
itself will take place the following week starting on Saturday, March
1st at 6PM UTC and end on Saturday, March 8th at 6PM UTC.  Results will
be announced as soon as possible on the 8th or 9th.

In order to vote you must be registered on the Squeak People

http://people.squeak.org/

website, have a certification of at least Apprentice level, and be able
to receive email at the address in your Squeak People account profile.
Be sure to confirm you have an account and that your email address is up
to date.  If you are not already registered on the site do so as soon as
possible.  Include information about your participation in the Squeak
community to aid everyone in determining your appropriate certification.
If you have an account but cannot access it any longer please email
box-admins at lists.squeakfoundation.org and specify your account name.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with
instructions and a link for the voting website.

Probably we need to remind people of the voting mechanism.  Is that on a
web page somewhere you can simply link to in emails?

Ken