[Pharo-users] [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

jtuchel jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Mon Dec 5 07:22:23 UTC 2011

Hi Mariano,

thanks a lot for your tip. So it seems like method
ConfigurationOfMaClientServer>>#version13: needs to be updated. It loads
V4.4.0 of OSProcess.

spec
			project: 'MaBase' with: '1.0';
			project: 'OSProcess' with: '4.4.0'.

So there is the next question: A look at ConfigurationOfOSProcess reveals
that version440 loads package OSProcess-dtl.59 , as of today, the latest
version on squeak source is OSProcess-dtl.66.mcz.

How can I find out which one between 59 and 66 is the right one? Or maybe I
shouldn't worry about it, but look at ConfigurationOfOSProcess instead...
But searching for ConfigurationOfOSProcess on Squeaksource doesn't bring up
any results. So should I be using the MonticelloBrowser to look at
MetacelloRepository?

I tried it on http:://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository and
surprisingly found out that I have the very latest version of
ConfigurationOfOSProcess loaded: ConfigurationOfOSProcess-mt.17

So it seems both ConfigurationOfOSProcess and
ConfigurationOfMagmaClientServer (and therefor I guess all dependent
configurations) need an update...

Coming from Envy I find this whole Metacello stuff both a big improvement
over Monticello and a bit low level. But maybe the last one is just a
question of re-educating myself ;-)
Still I am a bit puzzled about what I could do to make Magma load cleanly
into Pharo 1.3, other than fixing that one line in the debugger on every
load. Being an envy user, seeing a debugger during load leaves a bit of a
bitter taste in my throat, because chances are you are going to face
problems that stem from the broken atomicity of a load...

But most of all: thanks for the pointers. I have learned a bit more about
Metacello today, which is a good thing!

Joachim