[Seaside-dev] Re: [Seaside Commits] Seaside 2.9: Seaside-Tools-Web-mls.5.mcz

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:03:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Michael Lucas-Smith <
mlucas-smith at cincom.com> wrote:

> Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> Why not? Isn't that a bug? (I'm only half joking :) )
>>
>> According to the ANSI spec, though, #allSubclasses need not necessarily
>> return on OrderedCollection (in fact, why should it be ordered?). Maybe
>> that's too theoretical an issue to worry about but if you're going to force
>> a conversion of one of the collections, it's a bit odd not to ensure the
>> type of the other one.
>>
>> If this is coming up now, why don't we at least define what kind of
>> collection #potentialParents should return (I don't think it needs to be
>> ordered?), write a unit test for it, and make sure it always returns that.
>> It might be better to do "allSubclasses asSet"?
>>
>>  I didn't really think about it this way. You can't "concatenate" two sets
> together - you can merge them, but it pretty much means that #, doesn't
> exist on Set in VW. I published a new version that makes no attempt to
> settle the dispute of OrderedCollection vs Set one way or another. Instead,
> it uses #addAll: which should be safe across Smalltalks.

Ah yes, good point. I never really thought about #, being "concatenate"
rather than just "combine". #addAll: should be fine unless, of course,
#allSubclasses returns an Array on some platform :) we can probably cross
that bridge if we come to it... ;)