[Seaside] transaction engines?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Apr 29 11:02:46 CEST 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 1:49 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> I do want to share instances between seaside sessions. I hate to have
> hundreds of copies of the same model objects around (it just seems
> silly)
> and to manually expire&reload them (glorp doesn't forward the changes
> from
> one session to other sessions, unlike e.g. goods).

But you have multiple copies for a reason, which is that they might
have different state.  One way or another you have to store that state.
  However, I agree that the naive implementation of this would be pretty
wasteful - ideally you'd have some form of copy-on-write, but I don't
know how you'd implement that portably.  You might get by with
read-only vs. read-write transactions...

And yes, GLORP doesn't forward the changes from one session to another,
but this transaction engine could - if you only have one GLORP session
at the root, any time you actually committed changes to it, it could
easily notify any open transactions.

> But I agree, KATS is probably an overkill and not portable. I guess
> I'll
> just reuse the code glorp has for transactions and make it nestable
> and in
> memory etc.

Whatever works :).

Avi