[Seaside] Need arguments to sell Seaside

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Feb 24 21:59:29 CET 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Alain Fischer wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> At the begining of the next week, I will make a small presentation
> to try to sell Seaside and Squeak to my collegues and my bosses.
>
> Till now we are using WebObjects and for a lot of reason more the time
> is going less I am happy to work with this framework in Java.
>
> I am searching for good arguments to use Seaside.

Open source from the ground up is a good argument you don't mention.
How well did Sen:te take with the abandonment of Objective-C and WO
4.5?  How about the complete disappearance of EOF for desktop apps?
How do you know Apple isn't going to do that again in some other way?
And how responsive has Apple been to fixing or even acknowledging
framework bugs?  Etc.

You can also mention that Seaside is still very much in the WO
tradition - if you know WOComponent, you shouldn't have *too* much
trouble learning to use WAComponent :).  It's an evolution of the
WebObjects ideas, with some very interesting new stuff (like
call/answer) added.  And of course for those who know (and maybe miss)
ObjC, Smalltalk is a natural choice.

> - There is multiple solution for persitance (GOODS, Roe, others for
> production ?).

GLORP seems to be getting there... I know Rado has been using it.