[Seaside] Re: What do you think about Ruby on Rails ?

Benjamin Pollack benjamin.pollack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:15:09 CEST 2005

On 8/9/05, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:

> Then I have a question. There is no problem you to code in emacs
> Smalltalk code (look at the format of the file you obtain
> when you fileout a changeset) and load it when you launch an image.
> You will get a file-based language.

If you want a design of how this would work, take a look at SLIME, which
communicates with the Lisp environment over Unix or Berkeley sockets. It
probably wouldn't be hard to implement identical functionality for Squeak.
The major obstacle would probably be writing a good Smalltalk mode for
Emacs, although the GNU Smalltalk people may already have one.

What is the problem of having an image when you save your code with
> monticello.
> What I would like to have is a smalltalk scripting language. If you
> are interested this is an exciting topic.

I'm not sure what a Smalltalk scripting language would really mean. If it
simply meant executing a file of Smalltalk code, then (speaking as a huge
Smalltalk fan here) I fail to see how that's any better than Ruby or Python.
(We also already have that, incidentally, for at least Squeak and GNU
Smalltalk; the Swiki has more info.) If it means adding better support for
IPC and text processing, that would make more sense, and would have positive
implications for general Squeak development as well.

--Benjamin