[Seaside] Problem loading Seaside on latest Pharo

Cyril Ferlicot D. cyril.ferlicot at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:48:16 UTC 2018

On 14/06/2018 08:08, Blake McBride wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I tried downloading the latest Pharo and then manually loading Seaside
> (on a 64 bit Linux box).  I don't know Pharo or Seaside but I think I
> got an error.
>
> I ran:
>
> Gofer new
>     url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>     load.
>
> without error.  But when I run:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
>
> I get what's shown on the attached screenshot.   Is this an error?  How
> can I fix it?

Hi,

In complement to Tim's answer.

Yes the command worked and you just see the result of the script in the
playground, but I would like to raise two warnings.

First, Gofer is a deprecated way to load a project in recent Pharo. The
correct way is to use Metacello.

Metacello new
	repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
	configuration: 'Seaside3';
	version: #stable;
	load

Most of the time the result will be the same but the difference is that
Gofer has more bugs and sometimes the dependencies will not be resolved
the right way.

Second point is that in recent Pharo Seaside was migrated from Sthub to
Github. https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

Now the right way to load it is:

Metacello new
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 load

The Sthub version is still functionnal but not maintained anymore.

Have a nice day.

> Thanks!
>
> Blake McBride

Cyril Ferlicot