No webserver started when starting spoon

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Jul 6 18:57:07 UTC 2007

Hi Norbert--

> Ok, I checked with strace and so that its looking for
> the Flow library.
>
> README.html:
>
> components/processor components/memory.image &
>
> To start this way I need to do
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components
> ./components/processor components/memory.image &

     Thanks! I'll make a script for starting Spoon on Linux and instruct
people to run that instead.

> This way I get an open socket on 8090 which I can connect
> to. I can see "Welcome to spoon!" page but nothing else.
> The links on the page are pointing to port 8080 instead
> of 8090. Loading any of the links keeps the spinner in the
> browser going forever without response.

     Right; I apologize for not making it clear in the README, but this
is indeed as far as one can get with release 2a12. It's essentially a
"hello world" demo at the moment.

> Then I started the naiad. I did
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components/naiad/
> ./components/naiad/naiad Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(initializeUUID, 0x815cae0):
>   components/naiad//Flow.so: undefined symbol: initializeUUID

     That's a benign primitive failure. If there's no primitive support
for UUID byte generation (and there isn't yet), then some fallback
Smalltalk code runs instead. That code isn't as fast and implements a
lower-quality class of UUID than the primitive will enable (see the
Leach/Salz UUID RFC for more details).

> a clue what to do as the whole wormhole thing is strange to me :)

     Don't worry, you won't hurt anything. :)

> Making doit on the first two commands gives me an unresponsive
> image.

     I'll try to duplicate this.

     I'm sitting here at a table with Spoon set up on all three of the
current host platforms. I'll try to debug every bug people mention here.
I apologize that I haven't set up (access to) a proper bug-tracking
system yet.

     thanks!

-C

--