No webserver started when starting spoon

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Jul 6 23:02:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

> > This way I get an open socket on 8090 which I can connect
> > to. I can see "Welcome to spoon!" page but nothing else.
> > The links on the page are pointing to port 8080 instead
> > of 8090. Loading any of the links keeps the spinner in the
> > browser going forever without response.
>
>      Right; I apologize for not making it clear in the README, but this
> is indeed as far as one can get with release 2a12. It's essentially a
> "hello world" demo at the moment.

Ok, good to know. It may be a good idea to write this on the page as
well.

> > Then I started the naiad. I did
> >
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components/naiad/
> > ./components/naiad/naiad Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

> > ioFindExternalFunctionIn(initializeUUID, 0x815cae0):
> >   components/naiad//Flow.so: undefined symbol: initializeUUID
>
>      That's a benign primitive failure. If there's no primitive support
> for UUID byte generation (and there isn't yet), then some fallback
> Smalltalk code runs instead. That code isn't as fast and implements a
> lower-quality class of UUID than the primitive will enable (see the
> Leach/Salz UUID RFC for more details).

Ok, but no real problem at all.

> > a clue what to do as the whole wormhole thing is strange to me :)
>
>      Don't worry, you won't hurt anything. :)

Heh, if the world is being soaked into such a thing I don't want to
be blamed for :)

> > Making doit on the first two commands gives me an unresponsive
> > image.
>
>      I'll try to duplicate this.
>
>      I'm sitting here at a table with Spoon set up on all three of the
> current host platforms. I'll try to debug every bug people mention here.
> I apologize that I haven't set up (access to) a proper bug-tracking
> system yet.

In my opinion the best thing you can do is to describe what people can
expect by running a spoon image. I saw videos where you showed a
graphical browser for the memory of a remote image. That is pretty much
of a functionality. I'd like to reproduce this as well. Aside from this
I have absolutely no clue what is the status of spoon. Did I miss some
important document? (I read the spoon book already and the netjam web
site).

Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
are you running spoon in the simulator?

thanks for the effort,

Norbert