Squeak Alice Compatibility

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Apr 14 17:35:02 UTC 2001

Projet DeepLow wrote:

> hi!
>
> We are supposed to build a 3D application with squeak. We thought we
> would use the Wonderland class derived from Alice 99. We thought the
> actors were completely compatible and it appears they are not. Whereas
> everything (every mdl + vfb + bmp combo) we have managed to use in
> squeak could be used in Alice, hardly anything coming from alice could
> be used in Squeak. The models we used were the ones that come with
> Alice and those downloaded from :
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/alice/Objects.zip
> The models downloaded from all work in Alice, and some of them (not
> all) work in squeak.
> The models from Alice all work in Alice and NEVER work in squeak.

Look in Wonderland>>makeActorFrom: which is the metod you will
have to change to be able to read in all the alice files, I think.
The alice file spec. has probably changed?

> We were wondering if anyone could explain us this compatibility
> problem, and provide us with a solution.
> Is there a way to import 3D objects in squeak Wonderland that would be
> reliable and wouldn't involve very expensive software (e.g. 3D
> studio)?
VRML and 3DS are supported. There should be quite a few 3d fileformat
converters for various platforms out there.

> Are there any convenient methods that would allow us to design the
> objects (shape, sub-objects hierarchy, texture...) directly from
> squeak smallTalk?

VRML have some primitive objects defined allready in the image.
You could also make objects in the same fashion as B3DBox.

> We are looking forward to getting information : we're on the brink of
> despair.

Keep going:-)
Karl