[BUG] (IMHO) Change Sorter, ctrl/cmd-x can delete the class *from the system*!!

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Oct 17 03:46:41 UTC 2001

Bijan,

If you had used the *menu* instead of the command-key short-cut, you
would have seen the clear distinction in menu-item wordings made
between:

     delete class from this change set (d)
     remove class from system (x)

I reasoned that anyone using cmd-x in a selector-list pane or
class-list pane would be doing it mindful that these gestures
*always* serve to remove a class or remove a method from the system,
whatever tool they are deployed in, so would be expecting the same
short-cuts, if they're defined at all, to work the same way in the
change-sorter that they do in a browser.

Generally we *try* to make as many of the browser and message-list
commands as possible also available in the Change Sorter, since some
people use the Change Sorter as a primary code-development tool.

I admit to having hesitated somewhat before putting the
remove-class-from-system and remove-method-from-system commands (with
their cmd-x shortcuts) into the Change Sorter menus.  But in fact
experience has shown both to be quite useful.  They're great for
getting rid of cruft left over from early scratchings and false
starts during development, since a Change Sorter is often the perfect
place to find such things.

Further, my apprehension about putting them in was assuaged by giving
the menu items in question very explicit wordings that clarify what
each one does, and also by the knowledge that the "remove from
system" commands always demand user confirmation before the
destructive work is carried out.

So if one concedes that these menu commands earn their keep in the
Change Sorter, the next question is: does it make sense to *deny* the
uniform use of the standard command-key shortcuts for them when
issued in a Change Sorter, shortcuts that work the same way in every
other code-bearing tool?

It would be good to hear some other opinions on this!

Cheers,

   -- Scott