External Libs (was Re: libcurl?!)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Oct 31 16:06:20 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> PS. Plugins for solid good libraries is IMHO a very simple way of making
> Squeak better. We don't HAVE to make everything ourselves, right? :-)
> Even if it is fun... DS

I agree.  In fact, I think this is something we need to start doing to
gain some more general acceptance.  In having been involved in some
capacity in the Squeak and Lisp community for a couple years now (not very
long time, mind you), too often the answer the question of "how do I hook
up xxx implementation with the yyy library?" is "Rewrite it in xxx."  Seen
it on this list, seen it on comp.lang.lisp.

I think it would make Squeak quite good if we kept a plug-in/FFI-class
directory on the Swiki.  A list of libraries Squeak hooks up with.  Show
that Smalltalk *can* play well with others.

/rant...

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain