SqueakDisk

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 05:02:46 UTC 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 11:56 pm, Edmund Ronald wrote:

> Hence I wonder if Knoppix couldn't serve as a base for demo CDs for Squeak
> from now on ?

Well, Knoppix is based on nothing more than Debian Woody (OK, so they got the
autorecognition working particularly well), and although I like it very much,
I'm not sure that it has any advantages over the methods used by Tansel to do
the SqueakNews Ezine. I can see one big disadvantage: Knoppix is i386 (well,
PC in the limited sense of the expression) and, IIRC, the Squeak News disks
could also be run from Macs.

> Also, as it comes on a CD, and even on a mini-CD, it can obviously also
> be burnt into a ROM. I wonder if some hack whereby Squeak gets full use of
> a framebuffer without X might not be used in conjunction with this thing
> Knoppix to implement a very viable low memory footprint Squeak-based
> Dynabook environment, with the ability to benefit from Unix if necessary ?

This idea, though, I rather like. There's pretty obviously some  clever
compression going on in the Knoppix CDs.

Cheers

John