Recent Morphic/Alice changes?

Andreas.Raab at gmx.de Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 28 11:25:37 UTC 2002

Hi Bill,

I believe you are seeing the effect of one of the fixes to ClassBuilder.
When you add new objects,
Wonderland creates new classes for them. This may eventually involve
recompilation of the classes
and with the changes I posted this will incur a penalty of one full GC per
class recompiled [*]. It is
likely that if you are creating many new objects this is the effect you are
seeing (a message tally
should show this pretty clearly).

[*] Yes, this GC is needed. I thought long and hard about avoiding it but it
can only be avoided if you
are willing to risk apparently random crashes in some obscure but perfectly
possible situations. The
only safe way is to either add that GC or to fix the way #become works - and
I wasn't in the mood for
the latter.

Cheers,
  - Andreas